Alfie is an 8 year old schnoodle – a domestic dog, a cross between a schnauzer and a poodle. We rescued him in March 2014 from Facebook – he was posted by his owner and their circumstances changed and they were unable to care for him anymore.
I was reluctant to adopt another pet after loosing my 19-year-old Kitty Ms. Meow back in 2011, and it took me a long time to warm up to the idea of having to go through another loss again. Alfie had a hard time adjusting in our first few weeks with our schedules – long hours away from home during the day we had to hire a dog walker to help….. Alfie likes to pull his leash and bark.
It was decided that I take the summer off and spend a great deal of time with Alfie getting him on a daily training routine – he is getting better everyday. He still try’s to pull his way around, but when we give him the freedom to go off leash – he becomes more tuned into following, than leading.
Here is what I learned this Summer
1) Alfie is never late for work – he is up at 5:00 am for breakfast and is ready for his walk.
2) Alfie doesn’t judge – he accepts you as you are, so show your pet kindness and respect.
3) Alfie is loyal – with patience and training, you can teach an old dog new tricks.
4) Alfie is a social dog – he loves people, other dogs and cats too…..
5) Alfie is ready to be on his own during the day.. and for me – time to get back to business.